Summary of key issues with the current District Plan
As a result of the review of current policies and rules specific to family flats, we’ve identified the following issues with the current District Plan:
- Potentially confusing rules around how many family flats can be set up on a property without a resource consent although the usual building consent is still required.
- Scale of development – permitted flats can be 70m2 in size, but where resource consent has been applied for, family flats have tended to be bigger, on average 90m2 (particularly in the Rural Zone).
- Potential impact on the look and feel of the area, particularly in the Rural Zone where the family flat can be established some distance from the main dwelling.
- Current rules don’t give a range of housing choice for an increasingly diverse population.
- Difficult to enforce the occupancy restriction.